Sunday, February 13, 2011

Cassie and the gum!

Cassie was a VERY curious puppy and had a knack more than any other dog I have ever had for getting into mischief.
I was leaving to pick up some extra leashes someone was giving away for free. I had some Orbit gum but it was up high where I was sure Cassie couldn't get into it! I was wrong!Cassie was a tall puppy and she's very smart so she found a way to get into the gum!
I had the baby gate up and Cassie met me there when I got home. She gave me some kisses and I noticed her breath smelled minty! Oh oh! As I went up the steps I found what was left of two packs of Orbit Spearmint gum, there really wasn't much  left except for a few wrappers! She ate the gum and the packaging.
The bad thing about this was that Orbit has an ingredient called Xylitol in it that is poisonous to dogs.
I called the animal emergency clinic since this was on a Sunday night. I asked if I could watch  her at  home but they said no, I should bring her there right away.
So, they took her in as soon as we got there. They gave her some charcoal so she would get sick and the gum would be out of her tummy. She also had her paw shaved for an IV and had to spend the night there.
Those two packs of gum were expensive, $700 or $800! Then the next day I picked her up early in the morning and took her to her regular Vet. She was fine, thank goodness but she still has a sweet tooth! She has  also managed to find: a small amount of mini Butterfinger candy bars. Since she's a big girl she was ok because she didn't eat enough chocolate to hurt her. She has also gotten into grapes but not alot and not enough to hurt her. Grapes are also poisonous for dogs. Even though she's not a puppy anymore, she still sometimes finds things to get herself into trouble with her "furmom" but she has better doggie manners now.

No comments:

Post a Comment